Monday, February 16, 2009

Oops, I Goofed!

I didn't really answer my question , right? Is this really like the Great Depression in 1930s?
I'm no economist, so I can't really make the statistical comparisons, such as cost of living indices, purchasing power parity etc (ow, my tongue is hurting....)
I guess it's much better in some ways, and much worse in others (so lamely equivocal).
How is it better? Well, the technology's much better, there's quite a lot of cool, free stuff which empowers the individual. For instance, I can learn how to create animated pictures, learn to play the piano and even master some foreign language all from the internet. (It's especially good if you're using free internet access from Singapore's public libraries - some of them have power sockets so, even the electricity's free). In short, life's more fun. Really!
What's worse, then? Well, the scale of sheer scale of greed and outright dishonesty which led to the markets collapse, banks and financial institutions tottering, it's a shame to be part of the human race (don't even get me started on global warming). If you believe in penance, it would seem like cosmic karma that heat waves, and financial disasters are happening before our eyes.
Whoa, wait a doggone minute! Is there a point to all this rambling? Well....yeah (sort of). We can all do something about it. Dammit, we're a little smarter, now. The range of skills which the average Joe Blo is capable of, is simply staggering. So what can we do? I don't know, post blogs, send flyers, contact your friends in places high and low . Start self help groups, engage in recycling. Maintain networks to help the needy. Volunteer to put out neighbourhood fires. Feed a hungry child. Teach someone to fish, write a song. Live!!!!
The 1930s never had it this good:)

No comments:

Post a Comment