Sunday, February 15, 2009

A Very Bad Beginning



I wanted to start this blog much earlier (like before 31 Dec 2008), to encourage my friends to look on the bright side; but a series of unfortunate events blocked my blogging (writer's blog?)


After endless rounds of procrastination, I decided: it's now or never.


You see, I feel destined to do this somehow. I read somewhere that a lawyer who lived through the Great Depression in the 1930s kept a diary throughout the economic upheavals which saw a lot of shattered lives and dreams, but somehow he kept at it and emerged from the dark times into a revitalised America which made a huge impact on the world order.


Well, I am a lawyer, who was punished (unfairly, in my view) by being prevented from earning a living doing what I did best: lawyering (which is not to say that I'm outstanding in that field; just that I seem best able to earn a living in that way). However, I am now immensely grateful that the inevitable result of my suspension was that I was forced to sell down whatever I could to provide for my family, being the sole breadwinner.


The end result of that "tragedy" (still can't believe I can now use inverted commas on this word; I was all but crying my eyes out on the inside) was that I had absolutely nothing to invest, nor place with esoteric financial instruments which turned out to be massive scams!


Now that I've come back to practising law with a vengeance (barely exaggerating), I found myself climbing from rock bottom (or ground zero) way ahead of the economy.


But, enough about me. The surprise is, I have found other places which thrived and prospered beside myself. Here are some images from Taiwan, where I'd recently visited. Look on and, I fervently hope, smile and whistle/rap/dance a jig. Life is good!

If I chance upon other scenes which show that the human spirit (and determination to survive)continues to thrive, I'll upload for you to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment