Tuesday, February 17, 2009

What We Can Still Enjoy For Free In This Financial Squeeze


Some practical stuff first:
1. Chinese and Hindu Temples actually offer free vegetarian food. If you feel bad about eating for free, donate what you think you can afford in the donation box. Ok, please be honourable about it. Don't bring plastic containers for the next 3 meals, please.
2. Singapore libraries provide free internet access and free electrical powerpoints. Not to mentioned air-conditioned comfort on an intolerably hot day. Go on, especially if you paid taxes.
3. On weekends, Chinatown and Little India provide free shuttle buses to Orchard Road. Also, free shuttle services run from Clementi Rd to IMM Jurong, and Compassvale to Parkway Parade, I think. 11am to 9pm.
4. The museuems are free on Sundays and Public Holidays. Free entertainment. Sometimes, free movies are available at community centres, Fort Canning etc.
5. For the really desperate, there's Mr Bean shows at the Immigration and Checkpoints Authority.
Ok, now for some erm...well... you judge for yourself.
6. Smile instead of make-up. I swear, one day I saw a slightly plump lady, some wrinkles, a trace of greying hair gave a perfectly radiant smile. The next moment, I saw a slim (read - no visible trace of fat), younger lady, no grey hair with a stretched face suggesting some cosmetic surgery. However, her look was sour; weighed down perhaps by this climate of possible retrenchment. Guess who looked better?
Ok, just so there's no confusion, the picture with this post is not related to these ladies.
7. Watching some poor worker bee scurrying around, possibly to save his job. It's a matter of perspective: if I've been retrenched, I could empathise with him and feel sad, or thank heavens I'm now free from that worry (about losing jobs). If I still have a job, I could feel thankful I'm not scampering about like that; or curse our respective bosses. Either way, the choice is also free:)
8. Look at postings like mine. Again, you can join the crusade to enjoy life, or cuss like a sour puss.

1 comment:

  1. Have just added your blog on my blog! Congratulations great start.

    ReplyDelete